Financial Products Expert/Director for Emerging Markets
Request for Proposals: Scope of Work for Consultant (Potential for Full Time Hire)
VIA Global Health, through its global online procurement platform and network of commercial distributors in low- and middle-income countries, is filling a niche in the global distribution ecosystem for health equipment and supplies. Having served small and medium enterprise (SME) distributors in over 75 countries, and positively impacted the lives of over 4 million people with the products we deliver, VIA is scaling its business model through several priority initiatives, including developing a financing mechanism accessible to our buyers, many of whom confront considerable constraints in working capital, which reduces their ability to positively impact the health of their community.
The goal of a VIA Global Health Financing model (lending “product”) is to empower our clients- SME buyers of medical equipment and supplies in underserved markets, with access to credit to grow their businesses and better serve their healthcare communities. To fulfill our mission and increase access to healthcare technology and improve equity in global health product distribution, VIA will help SME businesses in the private sector who otherwise are unable to access affordable credit, or who are not included in other procurement mechanisms .
Statement of Purpose and Objectives
VIA is seeking a dynamic individual (or small team) to do a feasibility study focused on the preparation of a financing model (revolving credit fund) and identification of the ongoing compliance, governance, capital requirements, and key performance objectives to successfully implement the model.
(There is potential for this to become a Full-Time Position)
- Design the necessary structure and financial parameters to achieve alignment between VIA Global Health’s performance objectives (impact, growth, sustainability) and “suitability” by prospective investors
- Size of fund
- Turnover and repayment rate assumptions
- Risk assessment (for prospective buyers) process
- Provide alternative models for corporate structure of the financing model (e.g., within VIA Global Health, wholly owned subsidiary, affiliate, etc.) to optimize efficiency and resources while also managing risk.
- Establish the key performance and learning objectives to inform scalability and impact.
- Develop a compliance plan and technical advisory board to ensure adequate governance, oversight, and risk management.
- Advise on a staffing plan with key functions, positions, and qualifications
- Co-create an operational roadmap to secure funding, launch the model, manage the performance of the model from a financial and compliance perspective, and reporting to key stakeholders
VIA seeks this technical assistance for a period not to exceed 60 days, beginning in January 2022.
- 3-year financial model for the debt capital to be used to offer financing to SME distributors
- Recommendations on legal structure
- Risk assessment and risk management plan for prospective SME distributors
- Compliance plan to manage overall risk of fund
- 6-month operational roadmap to launch fund and secure key staffing positions
- Monitoring and reporting plan for key performance indicators
- Assistance in identifying candidate recruitment channels
- 8+ years of relevant working experience in the Financial Services sector (banking, consumer lending, or other FinTech services) in emerging markets (Development Finance)
- Understanding of Digital Financial Products and Platforms, especially lending or credit in emerging markets
- Strong problem-solving skills and highly analytical
- Track-record of leading dynamic teams and collaborating with executives and cross-functional
- Strong verbal, written, presentation and interpersonal skills are required
- Preferred: Team members or team leader have Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, or related-fields.
Evaluation Criteria and Process
Submissions for this Request for Proposals (RFP) are due to [email protected] by January 15.
Proposals, not to exceed 10 pages in total (Including CV(s) of key personnel) will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
50% – Design and Approach: Responsiveness to purpose, objectives, and deliverables
30% – Qualifications of Individual and or Team: Please include relevant experience, bios, CVs for individual or team who will be contributing to this SOW
20% – Timeline and Budget: Provide details related to achieving deliverables, including interim deliverables or reports, as well as salary and or consultancy rates and other expenses associated with this scope of work
VIA will notify finalists no later than January 20 with anticipated interviews and selection to be finalized by January 31, 2022.
Anticipated start date would be no later than Feburary 14, 2022.